Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Reasons to Honor Veterans



Today we celebrate Veteran's from all the armed services.  My Dad served most of his life in the U.S. Navy... Most of my life in the Reserves.  Though I abhor war and fighting on any front, I know it is part of life for generations.  People have different values and often have to fight for them against others who truly believe that they are also right.
There are three reasons why I feel strongly that we need to honor those that serve our country.  First of all, they made a choice to be the front line for defense for the general belief for freedom in our country.  Second,y, they risk their life and health for that end.  And third, because they are not often compensated for all that they do and risk their life for.
I am grateful to live in this country and I respect my freedoms.  I dream of a world of peace... Not one where we all agree but one where we respect the opinions of others, do not live in fear, and power is not used to hurt others.
I celebrate my Dad as a Veteran but I know very little about his military career.  At his funeral a man walked in and said to my teenage son that Roman was by far the best commanding officer he ever served under.  That echoes in me when I think of Dad.
My Dad did PR for the Blue Angels for a year in the 1960's.

No comments:

Post a Comment