Thursday, March 5, 2015

LOOK UP and get to know Seattle. Take a Walking Tour!

We often just don't look up and get to know the buildings that surround us in the city.  For the past several years I have been a volunteer tour guide for the Seattle Architecture Foundation.  I lead walking tours of downtown including the "Greatest Hits" and "Art Deco" focusing on buildings built during the Roaring Twenties.

The tour I lead the most is called "Look UP!" and includes the most notable buildings.  We go to city hall and the office of the mayor, the red floor of the library, and have coffee at the highest Starbucks in the US.

Take time and get to know your city.  Sign up for a walking tour and join tourists, international travelers, locals and people in the industry including contractors and architects as they look up.
Three great reasons to go on a walking tour...
  1. You will learn enough to be able to recognize design features in many buildings including clues to the time the building was built.  You might recognize a gargoyle, column or cornice that you might never have noticed before and guess the time period of construction.
  2. There is so much we don't know about the city we call "home."  When I drive downtown I am often focused on the traffic, making sure I don't go the wrong way down a one way street, and hope I find a parking lot soon!  I just ignore the structures that surround me.  Now I look around, I notice the lobby, I look for clues to the history, design, and use of the building.  
  3.  You will be able to share what you learn with others including friends and family as well as people from out of town that are visiting. It's so fun to point out to friends what I know about a building as we walk by.
Contact me if you want to set up a private group tour or want to come on an upcoming one scheduled. One of my 3 hour tours is clockhours for real estate agents! 


No comments:

Post a Comment